Wednesday, June 23, 2010

EP!C (fail) Vancouver, sustainable living expo


I apologize getting this to you so late, but go ahead and just avoid Vancouver EP!C 2011 cause even if its twice as good as 2010 its still gonna suck.

This expo was amazing if you don't really care about sustainable living and want to see Lush, Toyota, The Toy Company (lead free rubber ducks can be snapped up for 50 bucks! yah), Sage, and a bunch of other "who-gives-a-shit" stores/brands that are were all A) very well established at offering stuff thats been around most my life B) have no real reason to be at a convention about sustainability. Sadly over 90 percent of the convention was this garbage. I wish I was kidding. I actually walked the entire area and expected a whole other convention room that was the good stuff.

All that is being sustained is the ability to fool idiots to keep supporting your unimaginative corporate asses. What the crap does scented oils, bath bombs and toyotas have to do with the average person doing what they can to promote sustainability? I don't even mind big businesses, but be applicable dammit!

Oh there was a device that carbonate beverages at home, wow welcome to the 1980's bitch! I had that shit in Perth, Australia (the most isolated city in the whole world, we had sweet-fuck-all, but we had that over 20 years ago) what is wrong with you people? this needed large stalls in two different areas? did you think we are too weak to make to the next row of stalls? I made it to the old guy who was selling RESP's. whats that? Educations Savings Funds. fuck me!

I appreciate the fair trade area, but please! you think the Granolas and Hipsters there never heard of Ten Thousand Villages? just garbage. there was nothing in that whole area people can't find almost anywhere in Vancouver.

"I'm going to save the world by using bath bombs and a buying coffee that doesn't use slave babies to stoke its fires/test driving a hybrid camry"

I was desperately looking for something new, innovative, remotely interesting. Here it was: an electric buggy (read: not a car), a wooden hanging rack (sadly the coolest thing there), a guy from sears canada showing appliances, a place that sold you reclaimed hard wood floors for shit loads of cash, a place with memory foam pillows/mattresses that aren't made of polar bear cubs (300 bucks per pillow). place that made shirts with bamboo in it (I got so desperate, actually bought one, I had loads of cash on me that day/ a chequebook and nothing but crap for sale). thats about it. All this stuff is great, but *yawn* where is the new interesting stuff? I actually spoke to all these vendors and most were surprised at your lack of sustainable products, services and information. here's some of the stuff the vendors actually said

"I was expecting more sustainability products, I just did a show in toronto and it full of new products" - this from the sears appliance guy, even he knew it sucked

"I'm actually really disappointed with vendors here this year" - some building code company.

I didn't go the Eat Vancouver, but Im sure it wasn't 90% non food, non food related items, so they win and on a side note the building housing the event wasn't bad.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


...
Share