Friday, July 07, 2006

Bob Dylan Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue



I just grabbed this album from SoulSeek and had a listen to it. I had a hankerin' for some Dylan, but this 2-disc set was an utter disappointment. Turns out, live Bob Dylan is bad, and electric Bob Dylan is awful. Dylan's at his best when he's got an acoustic guitar and a harmonica, and that's it.

This album features entirely too much steel guitar - the bane of 70's music. The steel guitar is to 70's music what the synthesizer was to 80's music: overused and superfluous. If I wanted to listen to this shit I'd have put in Hotel California.

Dylan's been making music since '62, and I think people have been calling him a sellout since around '66. I'm not altogether on-side with that but when your audience asks for a 'protest song' and you play 'Oh Sister', you're a little out of touch.

To sum up: 2 units of quality / 5 units of quality. Some good music but an irredeemably bad performance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


...
Share