Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Hothouse Flowers: People



The first time I listened to this album I didn't find anything remarkable about it. Honestly, it was wavering between 2 stars and 3, and I was really hoping I wouldn't have to delete it from my collection, because I knew that I'd have to deal with an angry gwilli. And that's not pleasant.

But the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I'm not coming around to it as fast as I came to enjoy Good News For People Who Love Bad News, but I'm definitely warming up to it.

I was really suprised to learn that this album came out in 1988. It doesn't sound like 80's music. That's a compliment. Many of the songs are impressive both musically and lyrically - I'm always on the lookout for songs that use obscure or unusual words and I'm pretty sure Don't Go is the first song I've heard to use the word "sirocco".

Yep, this one's a keeper. Now I'm wavering between 3 stars and 4, but since I don't give half-marks I'm gonna have to go with 3.

[ps. Let me make a stupid, puerile comparison between these guys and their countrymen: the monologue in Feet On The Ground is strangely reminiscent of Bullet the Blue Sky and the rest of the album has hints of Van Morrison]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


...
Share