Wednesday, July 12, 2006

WRT54GS V5, don't do it.


I like to do a little homework on electronics before I buy, I did such research before I got my last router a WRT54GS V2, I loved this thing, I put Hyperwrt+thibor on it and never looked back.. recently I somehow bricked the thing and was looking to get a new router..

I read the reviews that say WRT54GS V5 is a crap router but I kinda refused to believe it was so bad that I couldnt use it. (I wasnt planning to put on special firmware) Aside from the problems I had seen on websites I had encountered the following.

1. the router stops responding: 2mins - 2hours but always happening I cant ping the router's ip. I cant get online but the status on the router says everything A-OK.
2. wireless can see the router, but not connect to it when #1 happens.

I googled for "wrt54GS dropping connection" and found nothing helpful

So this is just a bad machine and just need to be replaced, right? WRONG! I brought that bitch back only to get a new one with the exact same problem.

So I spent like 3 days trying to figure out what on my network could have been causing this.. I called Linksys support and I shit you not, the recording says "due to the response to our new products, your wait time may be longer than expected" spent like 40 mins on the phone, updated the bios all that.. the lady actually asked me if its possible I can get another version from the store.

anyhow.. I returned it, got a dlink which was really cheap and it worked right away and hasnt had ONE hiccup yet.

So if you do get a WRT54GS or WRT54G, look at the serial number, on the box and if V5 or more, then dont get it, its like getting kicked in the nuts by a foot with crabs on it.

WRT54G
CDFB = WRT54G v5.0
CDFC = WRT54G v5.1
CDFD = WRT54G v6.0
CDFE = WRT54G v7.0

WRT54GS
CGN7 = WRT54GS v5.0
CGN8 = WRT54GS v5.1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


...
Share