Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue



I was really eager to listen to this album. Out of the top 15-or-so greatest albums of all time, it's the one I'm least familiar with. After listening to it, I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but it really made me think about what I was expecting from it, and whether I have an appreciation for jazzy-bluesy music.

It's great easy-listening music though, and I often wonder how much my opinion of these albums I'm reviewing is skewed by the fact that I'm listening to them at work; that I'm only giving them about 25% of my attention. But I dunno. Does the fact that I'm sick of all the modern jazz artists who sound exactly like Miles Davis make his work somehow less worthwhile? Should the fact that his tunes have been butchered and abused to make endless hours of elevator and phone-hold music reflect badly on him? Of course not, but coming from a perfect unfamiliarity with this genre it's tough to separate the man from his imitators.

Anyways, I can't not like this album - it's good music, start to finish. It's enjoyable and I'm certainly going to give it a chance to grow on me. But it doesn't move me, at least not yet. So, it gets 3 u.o.q. / 5 u.o.q.

Are you sensing a trend here? 3 seems to be about average. I think it's fair to say that any album I listen to that gets less that 3 is gonna get deleted without further ado.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


...
Share