Monday, July 10, 2006

Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come



Today's album is The Harder They Come by Jimmy Cliff.

You can't hate this album. It's thoroughly unobjectionable music - and I am not predisposed to enjoy either steel drums or Hammond's organ. But more than that, it's just good music, plain and simple. I haven't heard much in this genre before - I actually needed to confirm with gwilli that this was considered "reggae" in case I was about to make a fool of myself - but this is definitely a refreshing change of pace for me. I have a particular fondness for protest music, and it's nice to hear it expressed in such a gentle, rhythmical melody.

That said, none of these songs moved me enough that I would, say, put them on a mix CD. But they will remain on my hard drive and be given the opportunity to grow on me, which is more than I can say for that execrable Bob Dylan I listened to last Friday.

Overall, I'm gonna give this 3 units of quality out of a possible 5 units of quality.

4 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger gwilli said...

it takes a few listens. but I promise "Pressure Drop" and "Shanty Town" will get to you... and you will need to hear them again.

if I rated this album, I would give it 4.5, I reckon.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Russ Weeks said...

I don't give half marks, Williams. Why not just rate it 9 out of 10 if you want to go that route?

My review, my rules.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger gwilli said...

MY COMMENT! MY RULES!

isn't 4.5 the same as 9? it's like an E and the next octave of E.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Russ Weeks said...

This is what i'm saying dude. It's exactly the same. But rating something 9 out of 10 is totally abhorrent, right? You know it is. You wanna rate something like a Christian, you use whole numbers. Fractions. What kind of mongol barbarian are you? If there is one thing I cannot stand it is innovation, and your fractions, they reek of innovation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


...
Share